Cooking Up a Facelift

See what I did there? This post is about my kitchen, and I worked the word "cooking" into the title. You're amazed by my wit, no? Yeah, that's not a cheesy title at all. Anyhoo, when I started blabbering away on this blog, I'd intended to chronicle the renos and redecorating we were doing around this place. Of course, nothing consumes your life, your thoughts and...ahem...your blog quite like parenting, so this became an outlet for my thoughts about raising humans. A house related post is long overdue so here ya go. When we bought this place, 2 years ago, the kitchen was a sore spot for me. Our previous house had a bright, open concept kitchen that was perfect for having friends over for dinner and I've been pining for my old kitchen ever since handing over the keys. Taking a step backwards in the kitchen department to gain the extra bedrooms we needed was a necessary evil. Yes, it was a compromise we had to make in order to gain some square footage but I've been hating on this kitchen since unpacking our boxes.

Let's start with the counter top. It's green. Yep, green flecked with various shades of purple. Awesome, right? I imagine that while I was running around the playground in the 6th grade, some contractor was installing this awful green counter in the house that would one day be mine. Next, the cupboards. They're pickled oak. A finish that was popular in the early 90's and can look either pinky or yellowy depending on the lighting. Suffice it to say that washed out, pinky cupboards are not my cup of tea. As if the dated cabinetry wasn't bad enough, the hardware they're topped off with looks, to me, remarkably like vaginas. I feel like I'm greeted by 31 vaginas each and every time I walk into my kitchen and, while I appreciate the ingenius design of the vagina, I don't need to surround myself with them.  Here are some "BEFORE" pics:

Before: bland and boring.

Before: The wall colour matched the pickled oak cabinetry.

Like an ink blot test, maybe I'm the only person who sees a vagina here. Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist.
After much planning and number crunching, we've decided to do a complete gut of the main floor of our house including the kitchen. Sadly, this big fat reno is still at least three years away, possibly five. Well, I can't live with pickled oak and vagina handles for another 3 years so I've decided to give the kitchen a face lift using only paint, fabric and accessories. The green countertop is staying just where it is and I've opted for a rich purple wall colour to work with the flecks of purple running through the laminate. The cabinets have been painted out in decorators white to brighten them up and the hardware has been replaced. I scored the curtain panels from Rona, for only $50. Not bad considering the big impact they deliver. Here are some "AFTER" pics:





So the budget friendly face lift doesn't improve the overall function of my shitty kitchen, but it does act as a band aid solution until I can go wielding a sledgehammer. We're gonna be blowing out some walls, baby! The whole shebang cost me about $400, not too shabby eh? I've gotta give a shout out to my mom n' dad and Tim who spent a couple of weekends slaving away on this project with me, you guys are da bomb. Peace out.





Comments

  1. Considering it was a minor facelift, it has made a huge difference. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOSH. What a difference. That is inspiring...especially to someone who lives in an entirely beige house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My entire house is beige too, I'm so done with beige. I'm trying to inject more colour and personality into my home, one room at a time. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Close up of the vagina handles, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duh! Why didn't I include one? I'll go back and put one in, once I get Simon down for naptime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love home renos! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally saw a vagina.

    It looks great! (the kitchen, NOT that vagina).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You saw it too!? Vagtastic! I'm not the only one, then. Thanks Susannah!

      Delete
  7. The renos look great! Just $400??? Might have to get me some paint and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it sure beats beige I guess. Thanks for reading, Gia.

      Delete
  9. Your kitchen looks fab, Suzie....I just dragged Gary up to see it since I have wanted my kitchen cupboards painted for months now. YOU are now my inspiration!! Thanks for the good example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Jan, thanks! Tell Gary I say 'hi', hope to see you both soon.

      Delete
  10. That is some serious lemonade you have made there!! Nothing like a little hard work to create something great. I have a crappy kitchen too. Can't wait to gut it, but maybe i should start with a little paint. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it's truly amazing what paint can do eh? Seriously, this was putting lipstick on a pig but I'm still happy...for now. Good luck Erin!

      Delete
  11. I'm in kitchen renovation right now. A facelift if you will. Yours turned out great. My favorite part is the argyle curtain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! I wish you well with your makeover and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. It looks amazing! How sad is it that I quickly scrolled down for a peek at the vagina hardware?! HA! I think you're definitely right, too...they scream vagina to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the majority of people were like "vaginas!? I've gotta check these out." I bet most people scrolled straight down without reading a word past 'vagina'. Thanks for the assurance that I'm not alone in seeing genitalia in those handles, and thanks for reading. I checked out your blog and loved it.

      Delete
  13. It sure does make a HUGE difference no matter how small we imagine the project to be. I love kitchen makeovers. Is it a girl thing? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This project was tedious indeed but so worth it. I just sit in there sipping tea and blogging, love it. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  14. Love the face lift, it definitely made a difference. And that curtain is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. no psychiatrist needed, i totally see vagina in those bad boys. the makeover looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a winner. We have lived 21 of our 23 years of marriage in fixer-uppers. (first 2 years were in an apartment.) You did a great job. I love the dining area. Great curtain and shade over table. How fun for you....a new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, (1) that hardware designer definitely had vaginas on his mind (2) congrats on a gorgeous redo and (3) I'm envious because my kitchen is awful and it's where I spend the majority of my time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The room looks great! Our kitchen in our new house is terrible compared to my old, so I know your pain. Except I have a 70s kitchen. Blech. Nice job on the facelift!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice update! I hope you can enjoy it for a while until the sledge hammer comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm with ya. On the vagina drawer pulls, I mean. I see it, too. Maybe we both need therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually really like the handles - labia and all. And I love how the curtains give the room flow and (ironically) light. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Totally vagina! (Made me think of the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, where the grandmother makes a vagina statue).
    Happy Demo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Occasional Abandonment

Raising My Boys; a Personal Manifesto

The Power of the Belly