Who Taught Him to Talk?

First words. The babble of that first word fills a parent's heart with pride and anticipation. Ah, just think of all the amazing things he or she will say in the coming years. Look at how communicative this little person is becoming! Imagine the insightful conversations we'll share as they learn and grow...sigh...it's a beautiful thing. Except that not every word they say is cute. Owen's picked up the odd curse word and, of course, I have no god-damned idea where he got those shitty words from. Those little gems are easily dealt with though. When we're done disguising our giggles as coughs, we've explained to Owen that a word he's using is ugly and unwelcome in our house. Usually, he's accepted that and traded out the offending word for something cuter. Done and done. Problem solved. Aren't we just the greatest parents ever? Nope.


Owen screwed me over recently and I wish it had been a swear word he'd dropped in the home of one of my friends. It wasn't. Let me explain- I've been lucky enough to connect with some other moms at the local rec centre, and I could tell right away that a couple of them could easily move out of the "mom friend" category and into the "actual bonafide girlfriend" category. Who couldn't use a few more of those, right? So one of these lovely gals invited my kids and I over to her place for a tea party (I know, how distinguished, right?) I chatted with the other moms while Owen played with the kids in the room next door, everything was great. Just the bees knees (that's tea party talk).  That is until my friend told the kids that the T.V. was out of commission and needed a repair. Owen waltzed right over to her and said (very articulately) "Why is your house like garbage?" Her house isn't even remotely like garbage, not that it matters. Her house is beautiful, immaculate and easily puts mine to shame, but that's not the point. I grabbed his skinny little arm and dragged him to another room to explain just how rude and embarrassing a comment like that one is. I turned him around and marched him back in there to apologize but, holy crap, that one-liner took the wind right out of my sails. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me and the mouthy brat I came with.

 By spending the past 4 years assuring him that everything he has to say is valuable to me, have I encouraged him to feel that every fleeting thought he has is worthy of expression? Have I encouraged him to articulate his frustrations at the expense of others? Should a four year old be the proud owner of a "think before you speak" filter? Maybe I've dropped the ball on the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" lesson. I'm trying to comfort myself with the belief that I'm probably not the first mother to be embarrassed by the crap her kid has come out with, I probably won't be the last. It's only mildly comforting, I'm still going to need that Merlot. Now, I can't help but look at Simon with unease. That baby, with his sweet baby blabber, is a ticking time bomb. How long until he drops the f-bomb at a kid's birthday party? Or tells my friend that he doesn't like her ugly pants?

Tonight, when I snuggle that sweet baby before bed, I'll remind him that there's no need to rush the whole talking thing. When I put Owen down, I'll kiss that little fartface and remind him that I love him no matter what mistakes he makes.


*I've linked up with Yeah Write for the third week, it's safe to say I'm an addict. Please click on the link to check out other bloggers, come back to vote...ahem...for me...cough...on Thursday*

http://yeahwrite.me/54-open/

Comments

  1. Suzie ...you are hilarious. OF COURSE there are going to be times when your sweet lad says inappropriate things..and yes...they can be so embarrassing. I remember well..... This too shall pass....through trial error and your correction he will learn. Now go and have that merlot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reassurance, Jan. I'm sure that developing tact is a long and arduous process. In fact, there have been times when I've put my foot in my mouth and embarrassed myself so I guess it's a life-long excersize in learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have five kids---FIVE!--- and every single one of them has sold me down the river at some point. You are a great parent! They don't come out knowing which things to say in polite company, they learn it. Please tell me that these mom friends on the edge of bonafide REAL friends thought it was as funny as we, your virtual friends, do!!! They are keepers then for sure! Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 kids!? You must be a pro! Luckily, the other moms brushed it off with a laugh. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. OMG he did not say that!! oh man. oh man, i need to shut my kid up now, huh??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he did. I suggest stuffing their mouths with candy when you suspect they might say something ridiculous. That should take care of it.

      Delete
  5. Bahahaha! I've seen some houses like garbage. Wish I had your kid with me then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If you'd had him there to call out the shitty housekeepers, you could just shrug, pat him on the head and say "sorry, he calls 'em as he sees 'em". I like the way you think.

      Delete
  6. My niece once said, in a very loud voice, Oooh, why is she so fat? Her mother was horrified, as you can imagine. She was 3 or 4. She's 10 now and an extremely polite, nice child. They really don't know any better. But you surely showed how good you are at parenting by expecting him to apologize. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That would be incredibly embarrassing! It's good to know that your niece is now filtering before she speaks :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. I remember my little girl saying VERY loudly as the lady in line in front of us took a step backward...a rather large lady, "Mommy don't let her smush me."

    We've all been through it and survived...with humor. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! In the world of a tiny person, I suppose being smushed is a real threat, she was only taking precautions by saying something! So funny. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  8. Hahhaha whoops! I wonder why he said the garbage thing? Oh wellsies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, I have no idea where that came from! I'm sure it won't be the last time he shocks me. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  9. Oh no. I`ve been there more than a few times. Today my 2.5 year old called a very nice though...a bit worn around the edges man, a pirate. Egads. But, this has nothing to do with our parenting...kids simply do not have a filter, unfortunately for us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You called your kid a fartface!!! Haha!! Seriously though, I think they all do it. We've had many conversations with our 5 year old about thinking before speaking and he just doesn't get it. He apologizes much faster now though, so maybe it's sinking in a little :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I call my kid a fartface on a daily basis. It's nice to hear that your 5 year old is making progress!

      Delete
  11. Made me laugh. All kids go through this. If the other parents in the room didn't comfort you on this, they were lying. (or haven't experienced it yet)

    Every one of my three kids has said something that they felt, but that was totally inappropriate. The difference is that at 4, people don't believe it wasn't YOU that really said something that they are repeating.

    If they aren't understanding, they aren't good candidates for "Bonefied Girl Friend"

    WG

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww, isn't mother's love the greatest? kids say and do the darnest things, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, man...well, when most grown-ups these days don't have a filter, I guess it's expected for four-year-olds to follow suit. *sigh* Here's to hoping the f-bomb doesn't get dropped anytime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can guarantee you that is will not be the only time your kid does this. As a former K-1 teacher, I knew all too well the goings ons behind closed doors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bwahaha! Oh man! I bet that sprouted a few grey hairs for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My 2.5 year old is just getting into that phase. Good times ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Occasional Abandonment

Raising My Boys; a Personal Manifesto

The Power of the Belly