Closed Doors and Open Windows


Recently, I put myself out there. I learned of an opportunity and I leapt at it. Picture a 7 year old girl twitching in her desk with enthusiasm, hand stretched into the air, each finger straight and reaching for the ceiling. "Pick me! Pick me! I can do it!". Yeah, that was me. Well, figuratively speaking. There was no desk, no room full of competing students. I simply filled out an application with thought, with diligence and with fervor and mailed it in. I told myself that I had it. I was a shoe-in, I could totally manage this task and be of use to these people. I began making plans in my head around this new opportunity, thinking about how it would impact my family, my calendar. They didn't pick me. They picked some other person I've never met and have no knowledge of.

When I heard the words "thanks for your interest, we've selected another candidate", I cried. I sniveled. I phoned my mom and wailed "It's not fair! I would've been good at this!" and she told me of a time in her life when she didn't get something she wanted and it's a good thing. Getting it would have led her down a path that wasn't nearly as awesome as the one she ended up on. I put that tidbit of wisdom into my back pocket for future comfort. I asked my kid for a hug and he delivered. I explained to him that I wanted to do something but the people in charge picked someone else and not me. He said that I must be sad and told me I could have extra squeezes today. That's my boy. How nice to have a moment of pride in the middle of feeling like a useless schmuck. What would I do without these kids? 

Thanks to the sting of rejection, I've decided that the person they've chosen probably has a mullet. They probably have that weird disease that causes your body odour to reek like a dirty fish market. They probably wear mom jeans. I know in time that my anger will fade. I know that feeling defeated, foolish and embarrassed is part of life. I'm lucky to have suffered those feelings pretty rarely; maybe it was my turn to get a reality check. The person they chose is probably right for them. I'm probably right for something else, somewhere else. 

"It all works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, it's not the end." 

http://yeahwrite.me/65-open-hangout/

Comments

  1. "It all works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, it's not the end."
    I am soooo using this the next time I am sniveling!
    I'm a newbie here and have spent my entire "coffee guzzle" time peeking around!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing! I need to remind myself about this when I think of the opportunity that I passed up last year. Some days, I am filled with regret. I need to remember that if it was right, I would have jumped on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acceptance and rejection is part and parcel of life. Don't worry it'll all work out in the end. Everyone will get their fair share of acceptance and rejection, as long as we pack up and move on from those rejections. You'll find something more suited for you soon ;) keep your heads up, Suzie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If it hasn't worked out it isn't the end" That is gooooood. You probably would have hated that opportunity anyway; the hours would have been too long and the people in charge would have been jerks who didn't share your vision...I mean, obviously, if they didn't pick you in the first place. They have freed you up for the really perfect opportunity that will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the sting of rejection - I love the "if it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end" - I think we're all required a certain quota of acceptance and rejection in life, the good thing is that you just got one of your rejections out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for putting yourself out there. Your child saw you handle rejection in a positive way--great example!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Occasional Abandonment

Raising My Boys; a Personal Manifesto

The Power of the Belly