Even Sarah Richardson makes mistakes.

I was watching an episode of Design Inc. recently and, I'm not gonna lie, I found some pleasure in seeing Sarah Richardson screw up. She'd selected a shade of green for the main floor of a home and then, of course, left the painters to tackle the job. When she and Tommy arrived the next morning, there was this priceless glance at eachother as they looked around the space. The colour sucked. It was muddy, it was dark, it was dingy, it was.....sweet perfection. Of course, with their ridiculous talent, they quickly admitted that the colour flopped and moved on. The space ended up being beautiful, Sarah Richardson beautiful. That goof-up brings me great comfort as I show you the pic of the colour I'd originally painted the guest room. Prepare yourselves. I assume no responsibility for damage to your corneas after viewing this photo.
The pic doesn't do this colour justice-it was NEON green.

Lady GaGa would love this room! She'd throw on her kermit dress and sit around being fabulous.


I lived with this colour for weeks and, despite Tim's affection for it (and my affection for Gaga), it never grew on me. Actually it did the opposite of grow on me, it began to sicken me. I'd walk past the doorway to this room and feel my stomach knot. After being nauseated by this colour for a few weeks, I broke the news to Tim that it had to go and then I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. I must give credit where credit is due, the new colour is the very same one I'd seen in the home of a friend of mine. She'd used it in her daughter's room and the moment I saw it, I thought 'THAT'S what I was going for! How could I have missed the target by so much?' This friend of mine happens to be an interior designer, I'm sure that she was just being polite when she smiled, nodded and muttered "that's a...fun...choice" when I showed her the guest room with it's original paint job.The re-do colour is a soft yellow-green called "Rainforest Dew" by Ben Moore. I'm relieved to say that I no longer feel the beginnings of an anxiety attack when I stand in this room.





I think the new colour is softer, prettier and less vomit-inducing. Tim's vote still goes to the disasterous shade of green I'd originally picked but he's actually colour-blind so what does he know anyways? Thanks to our oversized Ikea bed, there just isn't enough room on one side for a nightstand to house another lamp, so I'll be looking for a floor lamp to offer reading light to the poor sucker that ends up on the right side. I was thinking about something along these lines:
Barometer Floor lamp from Ikea
The bed is  a "full" size from Ikea which is actually bigger than the Queen sized in our master. Finding sheets to fit it is a nightmare, we usually admit defeat and head to the time-sucking maze that is Ikea. Who am I kidding? I could aimlessly wander Ikea for hours-that's my idea of paradise.

This room is almost done, I'm just sewing some new curtains and shopping for a light fixure. I'll post pics again soon.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Occasional Abandonment

Raising My Boys; a Personal Manifesto

The Power of the Belly