Say "Aaaahhhhh"

I'm afraid of some strange things. Rabid raccoons (http://cricktricks.blogspot.ca/2012/02/my-kid-talks-to-strangers.html), clowns, dying alone and the dentist. Most of these things can be easily avoided, I don't lure raccoons into my garage by leaving the garbage can open. I give clowns a wide berth at fairs and children's parties. It's really only the man clowns that unnerve me, thanks a lot John Wayne Gacy-you've robbed me of a simple childhood pleasure. Dying alone might be out of my control, so why stress about it? Now, the dentist. I can't avoid him.

Inside my head, this is a typical visit to the dentist
 I've been cursed with crappy teeth. I swear I brush them...ahem..and floss...OK, that last one was a fib. Still, despite my vigorous brushing, I seem to have a cavity at every check-up. I've even had the unfortunate experience of needing a root canal. Here's how that went down. I went for a check-up and discovered that not only did I have a cavity, I had the kind of bad-ass cavity that demanded a root canal. I've had 2 babies, one of those was drug-free. You'd think I could handle a root canal but my blood ran cold, my hands started to sweat, my heart started to race and I thought seriously about punching the dentist in the throat and bolting for the door. I believe this is called the fight or flight response, no wonder I've been accused of being over-dramatic, eh? The dentist set me free and told me to make an appointment with the receptionist for my upcoming root canal. The sweet woman at the front desk took one look at me and mentioned that the dentist could prescribe a Valium to be taken just before my appointment. I damn near begged her for one right then and there. The only hitch was that I wouldn't be able to drive myself home after the root canal, because I'd be drugged. Tim's a busy guy and it seemed a bit ridiculous that I'd ask him to drive me to and from a dental appointment, I could just see him shaking his head disapprovingly at me. Nah, screw it. I was gonna have to grow a pair. I booked the root canal for 4 days later, that should give me enough time to psych myself up for it. Now flash forward to the big day. I'm sitting in the dentist's chair, my thighs are sticking to the pleather and I realize that I'm sweating. The dental assistant is arranging some terrible looking tools on the metal tray beside me. I hate her. I hate her and her tools and her pretty blond hair. My hands are cold but sweaty. The dentist walks in, smiles broadly and says hi. I burst into tears. I'm trying to collect myself but I can't. I'm sniveling and wiping my nose with the back of my hand. He turns to the assistant and says in a thick European accent "I no even touch her and look! She cry. Turn on TV for her." She flicked on Rachael Ray, I'm not a fan. I hate that she calls extra virgin olive oil "EVOO". Like she doesn't have time to say the actual name. The dentist got right to work. When it was done I thought 'Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be' and  I was embarrassed by my outburst.

I've taken Owen to the dentist a handful of times now, and I'm always amazed by how fearless he is. He opens wide, cooperates and waits for the free toothbrush he knows is coming his way. Thank God I haven't passed on my fear to him. Thank God he's learning to take care of his teeth, his next set are going to be with him for life. I'm going to think about Owen at my check-up next month. I'm going to try to be as brave at 30 as my son is at 4. To help you care for your own kids teeth, I've agreed to post a badge to my blog from "Love your Teeth". It's perfect for school teachers, you can actually print off a personalized chart for each child in your class to help them care for their teeth at home.

Keep on smiling!

Comments

  1. I'm 100% with you Suz. I hate the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I catch a whiff of latex, I'm a wreck. I know a few people who actually LIKE the dentist! They must be insane in the membrane.

      Delete
    2. haha.. Stacey LOVES the dentist.. I tell her she's a weirdo. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Occasional Abandonment

Raising My Boys; a Personal Manifesto

The Power of the Belly